Friday, February 12, 2010

Rusty Winches

So last year I took the winches apart and did a complete rebuild.  I took a wire wheel to all the internal bronze gears and got everything looking spiffy clean.  I also used the wire wheel on the chrome plated bronze drum and then put it all together with fresh grease. The old Barient winches were running like new!  A year later, the drums have a thin coat of rust all over.  As it turns out, you're not supposed to use a rough wire wheel on chrome. So, due to my mistake, the winch drums are off the boat and getting rechromed.  $350 error.  Argh! 



Stay tuned for the "after" shot - should be sometime next month.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you take them to get re-chromed ? I have one the chrome is coming off and was hoping to refinish it instead of replacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took them to a place in south Seattle called Art Brass Plating.
    www.artbrassplating.com
    I found several places that do this type of work and sent them the picture on the blog post requesting a quote. Prices varied with the high end being $400 each. I went with Art Brass Plating since they've done this type of work before, they're close, and the price was competetive. They said it would take about 6 weeks though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said you weren't happy with how it's holding up. Care to give us an update with some new pics and a post? I ask because someone else recommended Art Brass and said it worked great.

    -p

    ReplyDelete

Having trouble commenting?

If you are having trouble commenting, try using a browser other than IE.That sometimes works! Hope to hear from you!