Thursday, April 1, 2010

Got the full package deal

Living aboard a boat probably isn’t something Nicole thought about until she met me.  I’ve wanted to live aboard a sailboat since I was 16.  In my 16 year old mind I had a pretty clear picture of what that would be like.   I’d have a sweet boat and a perpetual two day stubble just like Sonny Crockett.  I’d roll out of bed at noon on a Sunday, head up the dock and hop in a beat up Fiat Spider that had the doors welded shut so you’d have to jump in Duke Boy style.  Then I’d go get donuts and bring them back to eat in the cockpit with some Depeche Mode and various other teen angst music playing on the stereo.  Following that I’d probably get the charts out and work on my circumnavigation plans. 

I don’t recall ever thinking I’d be married. 

I got the sweet boat.  The car is a little more practical than what I originally had in mind (and the doors work normally).  I do have the stubble sometimes.  I’ve enjoyed donuts on board.  I still play old Depeche Mode songs on the stereo. 

The wife turned out to be a kick ass bonus.  Major icing on the cake here.  The full package deal – good looking, smart and funny.  She’s also an awesome cook.  I am constantly amazed at what she can produce with what I thought was going to be a ridiculously overpriced, glorified Easy Bake oven. 

cooking

She’s a graduate of the Seattle Maritime Institute’s Diesel Engines class.  The only girl graduate from the class!  It’s nice not being the only person on board that can bleed fuel lines and maintain the the ol Yanmar. 

mechanic

She knows that when the joker valve on the head goes bad, it’s no joking matter.

head

She can handle the boat (better than she thinks) and is happy to take the helm on one of those beautiful August days in the San Juans.

watch

And there’s nobody I’d rather have a rum ‘n Coke with in the cockpit while making plans.

drinks

You can’t have a dream without a picture in your mind of what it would be like to live it. 

Then, if you’re lucky enough to live your dream you’ll probably find out that the reality isn’t exactly what you originally envisioned. 

If you’re really lucky the reality will be even better than what you dreamed.

So it is with me. 

5 comments:

  1. She is light-years out of your league. We still wonder how you landed her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you both got pretty lucky. It takes a good man to write things like that!
    "Behind every good man there is an even better woman." ;)
    http://captainverena.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, do I have the most wonderful husband in the world or what? I certainly hit the jackpot. :) -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put. I enjoyed meeting you both in the diesel class and I agree, your wife is truly one in a million. Seriously!
    KC from Sammamish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this made me all teary. You guys are so great together. I'm lucky to know you both!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Having trouble commenting?

If you are having trouble commenting, try using a browser other than IE.That sometimes works! Hope to hear from you!